VIRTUAL: Kelly Starling Lyons visits Seawell Elementary School
Tuesday, February 28, 2023: Kelly Starling Lyons is coming (virtually) to Seawell Elementary - 1st grade!
Important Info for Ordering:
- Be sure to list your STUDENT'S NAME and TEACHER'S NAME in the order comments section during checkout.
- We will automatically apply a 10% discount to all books ordered for this event! We will manually apply the discount before we process it.
- Under shipping options, choose "pick up at store" then pay online, and we'll deliver the books to Seawell; there are no shipping charges!
- Please consider buying an extra book for a student in need. Ms. Nolan will make sure these books get into the hands of children who need them most.
- All orders must be received by noon Monday, February 27.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us.
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us.
In Jacksonville, Florida, two brothers, one of them the principal of a segregated, all-black school, wrote the song "Lift Every Voice and Sing" so his students could sing it for a tribute to Abraham Lincoln's birthday in 1900. From that moment on, the song has provided inspiration and solace for generations of Black families. Mothers and fathers passed it on to their children who sang it to their children and grandchildren. Known as the Black National Anthem, it has been sung during major moments of the Civil Rights Movement and at family gatherings and college graduations.
Inspired by this song's enduring significance, Kelly Starling Lyons and Keith Mallett tell a story about the generations of families who gained hope and strength from the song's inspiring words.
Kelly Starling Lyons (she/her) is the award-winning author of the Jada Jones and Ty's Travels series and picture books including Sing a Song: How "Lift Every Voice & Sing" Inspired Generations and Hope's Gift. She lives in North Carolina. Find out more at www.kellystarlinglyons.com