If you are a community member with an event idea, please skip this info and email our Events Manager.
Congratulations on your new book! And thank you for thinking of Flyleaf Books as a place to sell it. Please keep in mind that we evaluate tens of thousands of new books every year and field hundreds of event requests. Here are the guidelines we use when evaluating all books:
- Its content must be pertinent to our community and be an item our customers would be interested in purchasing
- It must be newly published; ideally we learn about it 2-4 months before publication
- It must be packaged properly. We look at price, writing & editing quality, cover design, binding, and the general quality of packaging. No spiral binding or blank spines.
Purchasing terms, if we decide to go forward:
- Sourcing: If your book’s publisher is someone we do not regularly work with, we may choose to take the book on consignment.
- If the book is available at Ingram Book Co, it must be offered at Regular Discount, Returnable, and in stock at the PA or TN warehouses with reasonable inventory on hand.
- Consignment terms (non-negotiable): 50/50 split, no shipping/handling, and fully returnable. Consignment payments are made monthly and we will contact you if we need to replenish our stock.
- In our experience, some book packagers who market themselves as publishers do not allow for reseller pricing, so please be prepared to take a loss or only a small profit if you have chosen this route to have your book produced.
- We do not stock or hold events for books published through Amazon or any of their publishing units, including CreateSpace. We highly recommend IngramSpark, an Indie-friendly alternative to CreateSpace and other predatory book "publishers."
If you feel your book fits these requirements:
Send an email to Jamie Fiocco. Include in the email either a link to or attachments with information on the book, author, ISBN, and publisher. It’s important we receive the request via email and can evaluate the request on our own schedule. Thanks for understanding that we do not have the bandwidth to evaluate books via phone calls or drop-in visits. Unsolicited samples that are dropped off or mailed to us will be recycled.
Events: please email our Events Manager here. Please note that our calendar is booked at least six weeks in advance, and it is unusual for us to host an event for a book that was published more than six months prior to the event date.
Thank you for accommodating these guidelines! Due to the volume of requests, we find it necessary to be upfront about all potential sticking points.
- Please also consider reading this info for authors from the Southern Independent Booksellers Association
- Also, take a look at this well-penned piece by industry expert Nicki Leone on self-promotion, marketing, and other helpful resources.
- Here is a link to the NC Writer's Network, which offers helpful links and tips for NC authors.