Stocking a book or booking an event at Flyleaf
If you are a community member with an event idea, please skip this info and email our Community Outreach contact
Congratulations on your new book! And thank you for thinking of Flyleaf Books as a place to sell the book. Please understand we evaluate tens of thousands of new books every year and field hundreds of event requests. Here are the guidelines we use when evaluating all books:
- Its content must be pertinent to our community and be an item our customers would be interested in purchasing
- It must be newly published, ideally we learn about it 2-4 months before publication
- It must be packaged properly: We look at price, writing & editing quality, cover design, binding, and the general quality of packaging. No spiral binding or blank spines
Purchasing terms, if we decide to go forward:
- Sourcing: If your book’s publisher is someone we do not regularly work with, we will take the book on Consignment.
- If the book is available at Ingram Book Co, it must be offered at Regular Discount, Returnable, stocked at the PA or TN warehouses, with reasonable inventory on hand.
- Consignment terms (non-negotiable): 60/40 split, no shipping/handling and fully returnable. Please note: we discount our books 10% and 20% to Flyleaf Members. This will affect your percentage. We can block this discount on your book but you must request this in advance. Consignment payments are made monthly and we will contact you if we sell out.
- Please don’t be mad at us! In our experience, some book packagers who market themselves as publishers do not allow for reseller pricing, so please be prepared to take a loss or only a small profit if you have chosen this route to have your book produced.
- We do not stock or hold events for books published through Amazon or any of their publishing units, including CreateSpace. We highly recommend IngramSpark, an Indie-friendly alternative to CreateSpace and other predatory book "publishers"
If you feel your book fits these requirements:
Send an email to our Buyer. Include in the email either a link to or attachments with information on the book, author and publisher. It’s important we receive the request via email and can evaluate the request on our own schedule. Thanks for understanding we cannot handle phone calls or drop-in visits. Unsolicited samples dropped off or mailed will be recycled.
Events: please email our Events Manager here. Please note we prefer to book events a minimum of six weeks in advance, and it is unusual for us to host an event for a book that published more than six months before publication date.
We’re very sorry for these rather harsh guidelines, but due to the volume of requests we find it necessary to be up front about all the potential sticking points.
- Please also consider reading this info for authors from the Southern Independent Booksellers Association
- Also, take a look at this well-penned piece by industry expert Nicki Leone on self-promotion, marketing, and other helpful resources.
- Here is a link to the NC Writer's Network, which offers helpful links and tips for NC authors.