IN-PERSON: Marti Dumas visits Carolina Friends School
Thursday, May 5, 2022: Marti Dumas is coming to Carolina Friends School - 4th, 5th & 6th Grades!
Important Info for Ordering:
- Be sure to list your STUDENT'S NAME and TEACHER'S NAME in the order comments section during checkout
- The book will be personalized using the student's first name, unless you put a different request in the order comments section.
- We will automatically apply a 10% discount to all books ordered for this event! We will manually apply the discount before we process it.
- Under shipping options, choose "pick up at store" then pay online, and we'll deliver the book CFS; there are no shipping charges!
- All orders must be received by noon on Wednesday, May 4.
Hasani’s post-seventh-grade summer to-do list is pretty simple: get a bigger following for her makeup YouTube channel and figure out how to get her parents back together. What she does NOT expect is that an emotional outburst will spark a latent magical ability in her. Or that the magic will be strong enough to attract the attention of witches. Or that before she can say #BlackGirlMagic, she’ll be shipped off on a scholarship to a fancy finishing school for talented young ladies.
Les Belles Demoiselles is a literal charm school. Here, generations of young ladies from old-money witch families have learned to harness their magic, and alumnae grow to become some of the most powerful women across industries, including politicians, philanthropists, CEOs, entrepreneurs—and yes, even social media influencers. Needless to say, admission to the school is highly coveted, very exclusive . . . and Hasani sticks out like a weed in a rose bouquet.
While the other girls have always known they were destined to be witches, Hasani is a Wildseed––a stray witch from a family of non-witches, with no background knowledge, no way to control her magic, and a lot to catch up on. "Wildseed" may be an insult that the other girls throw at her, but Wildseeds are more powerful than they know. And Hasani will learn that there are ways to use magic and thrive that can never be taught in a classroom.
Marti Dumas taught elementary school literacy for ten years, conducts teacher literacy trainings, and is the author of Jaden Toussaint, the Greatest. She lives in New Orleans with her family.