- Store Info
- Membership Program
- School Events
- Summer Reading Program
- Book Clubs
- Info for Authors
- Room Rental
- Wish Lists
- Know Your Rights!
Info for Authors
Guidelines for stocking a book or booking an event at Flyleaf Books
This information is available as a downloadable PDF at the bottom of the page
Please also consider reading this info for authors from the Southern Independent Booksellers Association
Thank you for your interest in Flyleaf Books carrying your book or hosting an event. Please bear in mind that we receive multiple requests every day, so it’s not possible to accommodate most. We appreciate the time and effort you have expended and know if it’s not a fit for Flyleaf it’s probably a perfect fit somewhere else.
Here are some guidelines we’ve developed which help us decide. The health of the bookstore requires all these guidelines are met, please do not ask for special consideration. There is a fine line between the art and the business of selling books and while we feel a responsibility to help new authors get a foothold, we must be very careful about following our business goals so we can be here for many years to come. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation:
- The book and its content must be pertinent to our community
- The book must be newly published, ideally no more than 6 months old
- The book must be packaged properly: We look at price, writing & editing quality, cover design, binding, and the general packaging. We do not accept books that do not have the title and author on the spine (no spiral binding)
- The author/publisher website must link to www.flyleafbooks (dot)com or www.indiebound (dot)com
- Sales terms: minimum 40% discount, we will not pay shipping or handling fees and the books need to be fully returnable. Flyleaf will pay the supplier 60% of the selling price of the books sold. We cannot purchase from a publisher we do not already have an account with, so you need to make arrangements to supply the books to us on those terms yourself. We take the books on consignment and will review the sales quarterly. In our experience, self-publishing outfits do not allow for reseller discounts, so please decide in whether you are willing to take a loss on supplying the books
- Events are ideally booked a minimum of six weeks in advance to allow for proper publicity
- Co-promotion: We book only authors we feel will be able to effectively co-promote the event. Priority is given to local authors and authors with significant local contacts. We expect the author to self-promote this event to all their contacts and especially to the target audiences of the book. In return, Flyleaf will get the information out to our media contacts, feature the event in-store and in our e-newsletter. If the author is interested in cooperative advertising, Flyleaf can feature the event in one of our regular ads in the paper or on the radio in return for reimbursement from the author.
- Attendance: When turnout is poor it’s not only embarrassing, it means the bookstore has lost one of a finite number of event slots that we depend upon to generate sales. To avoid this, we encourage multi-author events when the books and topics are compatible. We require that poetry events involve multiple readers. We do not put authors or poets together; you must come to us with a single proposal. Please bear in mind the event shouldn’t last more than 60 minutes total so schedule each person’s reading time accordingly.
If you feel your book fits ALL these requirements:
Send an email to: Jamie Fiocco jamie (at)flyleafbooks.com. Include in the email either a link to or attachments with information on the book, author and publisher. Please do not stop by the store unannounced, do not request an appointment, do not mail or drop off samples or call the main store number or the owners directly. It’s important we receive the request via email and can evaluate the book on our own schedule. This applies to freelance publicists also. We can’t emphasize enough the need to get this info by email, phone calls and drop-ins make it impossible for us to run our business. Any unsolicited samples we receive will either be recycled or donated to the library book sale.
Consultation: If you would like our professional opinion on a book or project, we can set up an appointment with one of the Flyleaf owners for a consultation. The fee is $100/hour and appointments can be booked in 15 minute increments. We also host a number of free and fee-based writing and publishing workshops at the store, or can refer you to local book industry professionals who work on a consulting basis.
|Guidelines for authors 2.pdf||65.66 KB|