Stocking a book or booking an event at Flyleaf
If you are a community member with an event idea, please skip to the end for contact info
Congratulations on your new book! And thank you for your interest in having Flyleaf carry it or host a reading. Please understand we evaluate tens of thousands of new books every year and field hundreds of event requests. Here are the guidelines we use when evaluating all books:
- Its content must be pertinent to our community
- It must be newly published, ideally we learn about it 2-4 months before publication
- It must be packaged properly: We look at price, writing & editing quality, cover design, binding, and the general quality of packaging. No spiral binding or blank spines.
Purchasing terms, if we decide to go forward:
- Sourcing: If your book’s publisher is someone we do not regularly work with, we will take the book on Consignment.
- If the book is available at Ingram Book Co, it must be offered at Regular Discount, Returnable, stocked at the PA or TN warehouses, with reasonable inventory on hand.
- Consignment terms (non-negotiable): 60/40 split, no shipping/handling and fully returnable. Please note: we discount our books 10% and 20% to Flyleaf Members. This will affect your percentage. We can block this discount on your book but you must request this in advance. Consignment payments are made in January and July although we monitor sales daily and will contact you if we sell out. We will pay for the books sold before taking new stock.
- Please don’t be mad at us! In our experience, some book packagers who market themselves as publishers do not allow for reseller pricing, so please be prepared to take a loss or only a small profit if you have chosen this route to have your book produced.
- We do not stock or hold events for books published through Amazon, e.g. CreateSpace.
- We host readings at 7pm Monday through Thursday evenings. For a reading & signing in the months of January, February, March, July and August there is a non-refundable $150 event fee. This fee is $250 in April, May, June, September and October. We do not book unsolicited events in November and December.
- If you decide to go ahead with an event, please understand:
- The booking fee is non-refundable and must be paid before the date is confirmed and any promotion begins from Flyleaf.
- Promotion: We expect the author to promote this event to all their contacts and to the target audience of the book. In return, Flyleaf will do the same; promoting in-store, online, in social media as well as submit details to event listings. We can also create a pdf flyer for you to send electronically and/or print out.
- We have more information on format and time schedule for events, but know we will have the room set up with chairs, podium, microphone and signing table. We have a projector and screen and can help you hook up your laptop for a presentation. We will give a welcome and an introduction for your event, and help you with the signing.
If you feel your book fits these requirements:
Send an email to: Jamie Fiocco jamie (at) flyleafbooks.com. Include in the email either a link to or attachments with information on the book, author and publisher. It’s important we receive the request via email and can evaluate the request on our own schedule. Thanks for understanding we cannot handle phone calls or drop-in visits. Unsolicited samples dropped off or mailed will be recycled.
We’re very sorry for these rather harsh guidelines, but due to the volume of requests we find it necessary to be up front about all the potential sticking points.
- Please also consider reading this info for authors from the Southern Independent Booksellers Association
- Also, take a look at this well-penned piece by industry expert Nicki Leone on self-promotion, marketing, and other helpful resources.
- Here is a link to the NC Writer's Network, which offers helpful links and tips for NC authors.